Monday, March 16, 2009

Proud to be an Indian.

My experiences in the last two weeks have proved that we are safe as citizens of this country in the hands of Mother India.

I am a single mother , a victim of domestic violence :a post graduate working for a software co. in Bangalore. My husband (currently unemployed) also a software professional and we were married for 6years before he threw me out of the house on a chill Sunday night in Decemeber 08. Our only son is 3 yrs. We have had problem with marriage right from the beginning. By the time I found out it was too late. Like any other Indian girl, I tried to “adjust”, “compromise” and then started a saga of emotional abuse.

The trauma was severe on my only child and me. But for some odd reason could never identify what I was going through as Domestic Violence. And went through it for 6 years. All my money was invested towards the household and finally when I was thrown out of the house had absolutely no assets or money. With the help of my parents I decided to live on my own and found a rented place as a shelter ( I have been paying EMI’s for 2 Home Loans and cars) and had nothing registered in my name.

My husband filed a complaint withVanitha Sahayavani (Women's Cell - Bangalore Police Commissioner's Office) and during the counselling session they gave the custody of the minor to me. I was trying to start a new leaf in life quietly.

Last weekend my husband barged into my residence and took away my child and fled from Banglore. It was a Saturday evening and I didn’t know where to go for help. He and his henchmen abused me all night long. What can a single woman do in a big city like Bangalore. I approached help of Vanitha Sahayavani (Women’s Help Line- Commissioner of Police- Bangalore) and they helped me lodge a complaint with Local Police.

I also moved a petition in the Honourable High Court Of Karnataka for Habeas corpus and Govt. of Karnataka helped me get my child back. The Police Department of Kerala also gave me all support.

All these happened in less than 3 days time. My child is back safe in my hands, and I thank God Almighty and the Judicial System and law and order System of our country.

Today I realise that It's the educated , Independent women who are victims of Domestic Abuse ; and we live with it , live through it for our parents and for the society.

Being an ordinary citizen with no political influence or money power I was given Justice ….If I can do it , So can you ....

No comments: